More than 4 in 10 small and micro businesses have experienced digital crime, according to a survey by the Association of Accounting Technicians (AAT).
The survey of 1,000 business owners with less than 49 employees reveals that 42% have suffered online security issues.
- 23% have had business computers infected by viruses
- 22% have had personal or sensitive information stolen
- 12% have suffered from card fraud.
Despite the risks posed by cyber threats, many businesses are not adequately protecting themselves:
- 31% don’t update their antivirus software
- 34% don’t have firewall protection
- 14% don’t have any cyber protection.
Mark Farrar, chief executive of the AAT, said:
“Keeping online information secure is vital. A security breach could put you out of action and cost you money, which can be fatal for smaller businesses that have very little time and money to spare.”